Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Alabama

So i'm not really sure how to start this. I have told the story of the race so many times now i feel like i have been playing telephone with myself. Not sure if the story fits what happened in the race anymore.

Flew down to Alabama with Dom once again. Npthing to speek off as far a funny storys or diastors. Picked up our retal car, which sucked. I t was some Jeep abortion. Looked like it wouldnt do anything well and it really didnt.

Once at the race course we took off, and began the pre-ride. Dom thought it would be a great idea to once again twist himself into a pretzel and crash. It was such a great crash too. I was up the trail and heard the crash begin to happen behind me. I then stopped, turned around the looked back. Both Dom and Cannondale Scalpel were in the midst off crash and both still moving out of control. Dom and I both thought this was the end of his race and maybe the season. It looked and sounded however alot worse then it was. The rest of the ride i fought with my new bike, as i still didnt have things set up the way i wanted them. All and all the course is one of the best if not te best course there is on te whole Xterra tour. After the bike we ran the run course, and took a small swim in the lake. Everything felt pretty darn good an we both wanted to get the race over and done with.

On saturday We did a litte bit of everything. Little Bike, Little Run, Little Swim. Love those days. After we went to (olive garden) kinda lame but the food was ok and what we need to fuel for the race.

Race day was ok. WE got breakfast and rode our bikes over to the course from the Hotel. Its about 7 miles and a great warm-up. We tried to leave as late as we could as to not get to the course to early before the race. Both got kitted up and ready. The cannon went off and my race felt like it had already gone up in smoke. I couldnt move my arms and had to do backstroke on the second loop of the swim. I was already in servival mode. On the bike the legs felt real good and ready to go. Only to get a flat 3 or 4 miles in. The stans in the tires sealed the leak and i thought i was ok. Mark Leishman came up and around me soon after. It was nice to have someone to ride with but soon i have to let him go and decide when to fill my tire back up as it was almost to the rim. We came to the base of the long fire road climb an i thought this was it. I had to hit the tire up now. Once i did Brian Smith came past. Just my luck. I hooked up to his wheel and just chilled trying to get my head and legs back on the same page. Things were going well and the fire was coming back. The tire started to go away again just as we cought Ryan Ignatz, and i thought ok maybe if i stop now and hit it up one more time an can chase back to the both of them before T2 and we could all run together. That would have been a real good run group. This was not to be and before i was back to T2 i was riding the rim this time with a full flat tire. As i loked up the road i saw Brian and Ryan running away together. I was so bummed. I took off out of T2 in about 20th and said to myself stay with it you never know, and you need the racing. Things went well and the heat got to alot of the guys up the trail. People just started appearing in front of me. I made it past 11 guys to finish 9th. Not to bad with the maddness on the bike. Brian and Ryan were 6th and 7th respectivly.

Not to bad not to good.

On a good note. Dom killed it. He came out of the water in great spot and had a strong bike and a great run to finish 4th on the day. So proud of him. The training has been good and we have been real working hard at this.

Next Report RICHMOND!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home